Monday, January 17, 2011

In Honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday

I am so grateful to Dr. King and all those whose shoulders I stand on today to be where I am in life.   

To all of those involved in the civil rights movement, I say thank you for fighting for my civil rights, which has allowed me to get to the place where I can live out my dreams.  Every day I am thoughtful of the suffering that so many people endured just to allow me – a little black girl from John’s Island, South Carolina to live the big life that I currently have.  I am appreciative every day for the opportunities that I currently have in my life and vow never to take any of the liberties lightly.  I will be forever indebted to those who fought for my personal and social rights and endured so much pain, prejudice, and inequalities just to afford me the chances and possibilities that I have in my life today.

Thank you for the freedoms that I currently have.  I am so grateful that today, I too, have the opportunity to live the American dream!  Because of this, I made a promise to myself a few decades ago that I would never allow the struggles and lives lost in the fight for my civil rights go in vain.  I made a commitment to myself and to my parents a long time ago that I would take advantage of all the opportunities available to me. 

So when I think back to the struggles and obstacles I had to overcome to get to where I am in life today, I can keep in mind that it will never be comparable to the hardships and struggles made for us by the men and women who sacrificed their lives to afford us a seat at the table. Accordingly, in his 1968 essay entitled "A Testament of Hope," Dr. King wrote, “People are often surprised to learn that I am an optimist.  They know how often I have been jailed, how frequently the days and nights have been filled with frustration and sorrow, how bitter and dangerous are my adversaries.  They expect these experiences to harden me into a grim and desperate man.  They fail, however, to perceive the sense of affirmation generated by the challenge of embracing struggle and surmounting obstacles.” 

In the words of Dr. King, “We must never lose infinite hope”  Know that you can still fulfill your greatness by overcoming your personal obstacles!  It’s time to awaken the Dr. King spirit in all of us!  Let’s serve others and help as many people in our daily path to make positive changes in their lives and pursue their individual life dreams.  Are you with me?

Your Success Coach,

Dr. Amy Hymes, PhD
Psychologist | Author | Business Owner | Speaker & Trainer

No comments:

Post a Comment